Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Daisy's Crepes

I've spent a good portion of my life living in residence halls, and if there's only one thing I learned in college (I hope there were more lessons, but I'm not counting on it), it's that sometimes you have to be creative with your food. 

At my school, we were not allowed to have appliances, but there was a communal microwave; since all residential students were required to be on the meal plan, this setup was not always a problem, but if you were sick or got hungry outside of our (pretty rigid) mealtimes, the microwave was the only thing you had available. Some of our more creative students rose to the challenge. My one neighbor, Daisy, was one of those students.

She came into my room one night and asked me, without any pretext or explanation, if I liked bananas, strawberries, and Nutella. Well, I love all three of those things, ESPECIALLY the Nutella. Next thing I know, she's handing me a faux crepe that contains exactly those ingredients. 

It was fucking delicious.



The best part about this whole situation is how simple the crepes are:

Medium flour tortillas
Nutella hazelnut spread to taste
Sliced bananas
Sliced strawberries

All you do is spread some Nutella on a flour tortilla, add some bananas and strawberries, microwave it for about 30 seconds, and you're done. That's it. No drama, no hassle--just a delicious snack. Unfortunately, Nutella has about 200 calories per serving (2 tbs.), but in my personal opinion, all 200 calories are worth it, because that stuff is tasty.

Now, if you're looking for a legitimate recipe for Nutella crepes, you might check out Michael Chiarello's recipe at Food Network. But I recommend at least trying these easy ones; you might be pleasantly surprised!

Visit Nutella's website.

Image via here.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment