Wednesday, May 25, 2011

People We Covet: Gerard Manley Hopkins

I was going to covet Jayne Cobb, but then I checked, and so far, we've only coveted real people. So today I'd like to introduce you to Gerard Manley Hopkins and his chin.

I want to get this in on the twenty-fifth, so I'll make this quick:

No one's got a swell cleft in his chin like Gerard.

In addition to having a pretty great chin, Hopkins also wrote some fine religious poetry. Cate and I were just talking about this the other day. We both despaired over a religious poem that neither of us found to be all that inspiring, and Cate brought up my favorite Jesuit priest.

By which I mean, the only Jesuit priest I think I know of.

I'm shallow, so I brought up his chin. But anyway, trust me. If you want religious poetry, going to church and looking through a hymnal is a good place to start (those poems also come with a variety of tunes you can choose from, and also you can sing a lot of Emily Dickinson's work to "Amazing Grace"), but if that's not appealing, Gerard Manley Hopkins rocks it. The guy who thinks adding a verse to a traditional hymn is a good idea does not rock it. Just so you know.

Image via Wikipedia. But it's also in the public domain.

Pecan pie and a glass of milk,

Maureen

PS Have a poem! "Carrion Comfort," one that is not full of pecan pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment