Friday, December 23, 2011

Cate's Top 10 (2011)

It's that time of year when every magazine and website publishes some kind of top 10 list--top 10 books, top 10 movies, top 10 I'm-Stephen-King-and-I-Do-What-I-Want. Since I am woefully behind on the pop culture front (I blame grad school) and don't really believe that it's possible to write a definitive top 10 list--everything is subjective, my friends--my top 10 list for the past year is maybe less current, probably less entertaining, and filled with more personal moments than the average Top 10. Still, I hope you'll bear with me as I take a look back at the year that was.

10) Starting the What We Covet tumblr!

9) Lady Gaga's "Marry the Night." The video may be a little bit insane-o, but hey--that's what we've come to expect from Gaga, yeah? Besides, this song (and in fact all of Born This Way) was the soundtrack to my summer.

8) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. I try not to think of it as the end of an era. Rather, I like to look at it as a step in a journey that I'm happy to take over and over.


6) Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I think I learned more about writing from this 2007 novel than all the books I read in my first two semesters of grad school combined. Plus, it's freaking hilarious.

5) Le Métier de Beauté's Precision Liquid Eyeliner. It has changed my cosmetics life forever.

4) The theyskens' theory wedge that almost made me cry, it's so beautiful.

3) My first trip across the ocean and the time I spent in the Netherlands and Belgium.

2) Late nights with friends (rather than homework).

1) I have a lovely new niece, who is the best thing to enter my life in many moons. Her hair sticks straight up, and she is all the more fabulous for that.

What We Covet will return after the holidays on Monday, January 16th with new posts. In the meantime, we wish you a safe and happy holiday season! And should you feel compelled to share your personal top 10 in the comments, we'd love to read about it!

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment