Tuesday, October 2, 2012

It's-a Me, Mario!

Fact: I'm not exactly known for my video game skills. One time in college, while sitting in on a multi-player game of Call of Duty, the three guys I was with declared that they could always tell where I was, because I was standing in one spot, spraying bullets everywhere and getting killed every 90 seconds. (True story.) But I do appreciate video games, and every once in awhile, I will play the original Super Mario Brothers 3 on my brother's old-school NES. Actually, my friend James and I had a conversation about Mario himself the other day.

Cate: So if you're Mario, who's Luigi?
James: Luigi is Luigi, Mario is Mario, I am me, and you are you.
Cate: Thanks for clearing that up. If I ever forget who I am, I'll refer to this text.

Philosophical observations aside, that chat got me thinking about the primary colors in the Mario design--how cheerful they are, and how evocative the game is of my childhood. So it was dumb luck when I found an awesome Mario-styled bag on Etsy:


Though I don't personally carry cross-body bags or flat pack designs, I do covet the conversion of Mario the Plumber into a geometric fun-time accessory. Somehow, I see a nerdy girl integrating this bag into a Halloween costume in the near future!


Image via Etsy.

-Cate-

PS I had the most wonderful package in the mail over the weekend: a necklace from Senba Designs! My latest necklace is a lariat-style one with a wire-wrapped piece of Okinawan sea glass as a pendant. I love it, and I thank Lisa for taking the time to make it for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment