Thursday, October 4, 2012

Robe-o, oh Robe-o, wherefore art thou Robe-o?

I covet many things, although paradoxically I try not to covet ALL THE THINGS. It's a struggle.

What am I coveting presently? Robes. I know what you're thinking: "Robes? For a first post? Oh Cate, I don't know if this new girl is going to work out."

Bear with me.

Twenty some-odd years ago, my momma received a hot pink raw silk robe from a family friend who had just returned from Vietnam. It was gorgeous, with a big dragon medallion hand-embroidered on the back of it, and perfectly packable for trips. Except for the pink thing. I was not a pink girl growing up.  Recently I realized that if I was going to insist on gallivanting around my apartment in my underoos, people parking their cars down in front of my building did NOT need to glance up and see my underoos as I went about gallivanting! I immediately thought about that Vietnamese robe, and set about locating one like it online.  Regrettably, to this day I still have not been able to locate a robe like hers...yet. At the present moment I have resigned myself to simply having to take a trip to Vietnam in search of this robe. Cate has asked to go with me; I'm sure I'll need someone to help me get the extra luggage with goodies back home.

So yes. Robes. Not the usual super-fluffy or flannel or terrycloth ones that are usually given as Christmas gifts. By the same token, not the mid-thigh satin ones that grace the racks of adult entertainment stores. Believe it or not, between the two there is a happy medium, filled with robes that are simply amazing. Sounds like a magical wonderland, does it not?


Voilà, I offer you Exhibit A:





Natori's 'Amidala' robe.  While it is not silk, it is a good midweight satin that will stand up to daily use. I'm a sucker for colors and an ornate pattern.

Buy through Nordstrom for $180.

For those seeking a robe that smacks of Old Hollywood or vintage pinup wardrobe, I offer Exhibit B:




Jenny Packham's lace-trimmed silk-chiffon robe. This robe and I, it was infatuation at first sight. However, like any infatuation, it ended quickly when I noted the sticker price. Nevertheless, I still covet this robe from afar.

Buy through The Outnet for $532.


Images via Nordstrom & The Outnet.



~Bonnie~

No comments:

Post a Comment