Saturday, June 25, 2011

People We Covet: Carrie Bradshaw

Awhile back, Maureen asked me if it would be okay for us to covet fake people. She didn't mean the kind who smile to your face and then stab you in the back--at least, I don't think she did. Rather, she meant the kind who don't actually exist. Like, for example, Jayne Cobb from Firefly (her choice). I told her I would rather covet Wash, but there you have the difference between us.

So today, I've decided to covet a fake person who--let's face it--is pretty covetable: Carrie Bradshaw.


All right, here's the thing: as a character, she's not exactly the most admirable human. After all, she cheats on her great boyfriend, breaks up a marriage, chases after men who are generally emotionally unavailable, and gets into debt by buying $40,000 worth of shoes (although I have to say, I can relate to at least those last two things). But as a style icon, she can't be beat.

No, I do not always agree with her fashion choices. For example, there's this getup, complete with fanny pack and unnecessary midriff shirt:


But on the other hand, there's this:


And this:

Complete with bonus Baryshnikov!

And, in the first movie, there's this, her lovely apartment makeover:


What I love the most about her is that she is true to her own style: she wears what she wants, when she wants, and she always owns it. That's a great lesson for us all to learn, no?

Images via here, here, here, here, and here.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment