Thursday, March 10, 2011

"May the odds be ever in your favor."

That Cate, always talking about accessories and fashion and things I don't understand. She's so crazy.

Let me just get this out, all right, folks? I recently bought Suzanne Collins's The Hunger Games, because I decided I was allowed to go buy books, and because the Nerdfighters recommended it to me. And then I finished it that very day. The next day I bought its sequels Catching Fire and Mockingjay, and I finished those by the next day, making it a three-day marathon of young adult sci-fi. Normally I read a lot more fantasy than science fiction, but when you add deadly children to the mix, it seems I devour the stuff. See also: Ender's Game.

The Hunger Games is about Katniss Everdeen, whose name is either cool or weird (but definitely much cooler than poor Peeta Mellark's) and the eponymous Hunger Games. The Games are a yearly event in which all the Districts in what used to be North America send children to the Capitol to kill each other.

Katniss, obviously, ends up as one of these children, and she tries to kill people, and people try to kill her, and it's pretty exciting, except for when it's worrying.

Also, you fashion types would dig it because there is totally fashion. That's right, Cate. Fashion. In a book about children being forced to kill each other. It's like The Baby-sitters Club meets Battle Royale, except, well, not really.

I would tell you more, but I think you should visit either your local public library or a small locally-owned bookstore and see for yourself.

Best wishes!
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment