Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"You can't take the sky from me."

A while ago, I loaned my lovely Firefly boxed set to my little brother so he could watch it. Then, I wanted to watch it, and I didn't have it, and I was very sad. I'm still a little sad, but I'll be getting it back soon.

Firefly is a television show, sadly canceled after just thirteen episodes. It was brought to us by Joss Whedon, who also gave the world Buffy the Vampire Slayer and more recently Dollhouse and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. The short run of the show makes it an affordable boxed set, but also a depressing one. Firefly is a space western, which means I love it. I love westerns (one of my first loves was Adam Cartwright), and I love space (you've seen us talk about Star Wars, right?). So what happens when you put a western in space? Maureen has a case of the vapors.

Mal Reynolds is captain of the Firefly-class ship he named Serenity. His crew is a ragtag bunch of misfits, but they're like family, and they mostly take care of each other. Mal does some slightly illegal things with his ship, but he's a good guy, because the Alliance is terrible.

A film, Serenity, was made after the end of the show. I haven't seen this one yet, but I intend to. That will be a fine, fine day.

Buy Firefly through Best Buy for $39.99 and Serenity for $19.99.

xoxo,
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment