Monday, February 20, 2012

Of Ships and Sealing Wax

When I was much younger and only heard poetry and never read it, I didn't realize that the walrus was speaking of wax for sealing things. I thought that for some reason it was important to wax the ceiling regularly. Somehow I made it out of that stage without ever asking my parents why they never waxed the ceiling. Maybe I was perceptive enough to realize when "The Walrus and the Carpenter" was written and that ceiling technology had advanced to the point where waxing was unnecessary.

I understand now, though. And now I send people letters sealed with wax. I am delighted that they have invented flexible wax for mailing things, but I am also deeply interested in traditional brittle wax.
This is Abraxas sealing wax, the amber color. It's translucent and looks lovely in the light from what I've seen of pictures, and I'm told it smells nice while melting. I want it. I may not even be able to send it through the mail, but I want it. Maybe I could use it to seal packages or as part of wrapping presents or SOMETHING. I'd figure it out.

Buy through Castle in the Air for $15.00.

Picture via the same.

Yours, etc.,

Maureen

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I laughed out loud reading the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete