Sunday, September 25, 2011

People We Covet: Bill Nye


Bill Nye was my favorite science teacher. As a child I watched Bill Nye the Science Guy on PBS, along with other very educational TV shows. I don't remember what I learned in elementary school science class, but I do remember that inertia is a property of matter.

I watched Bill Nye long after cancellation of his show--I distinctly recall getting excited in eighth grade when the Bill Nye LaserDisc (LaserDisc!) came out and we watched that for part of science class.

Bill Nye doesn't just educate kids about science. He advocates science knowledge for all the people. I have to say I agree with him, because there are too many scientific claims out there that the general public cannot evaluate. Some are unwilling to evaluate scientific claims. I like to think more science education would open their minds a little.

Now, as you all go about your daily lives, I want you to remember: SCIENCE RULES!

Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment