Thursday, August 25, 2011

People We Covet: Michael Kors (A Duet with Maureen)

Although we work on this blog together, Maureen and I rarely join forces to write a post. Today, things are different, because our covetousness has coincided. Enjoy!

***

Maureen
Everything I know about Michael Kors comes from two sources: Project Runway and Cate.

Cate says he does good fashion design stuff. So does Project Runway. Sometimes Cate points out his purses and things, and I say, "I'm sure that's wonderful." I really am sure. I don't know these things, but I trust people who do.

However, I can for myself recognize a little of Michael Kors' genius when I watch Project Runway. In fact, I'm only here right now because of that show. Michael Kors makes the best faces when the worst looks come down the runway, and it is a real shame there is no Michael Kors Tumblr to record these things, because I know I can't.

He also has some of the best lines when it comes time to tell the designers why they're so bad at what they do. I haven't written them down over the course of the show's run, but my friend the Internet sure has. Let's have a look:

"She looks like Barefoot Appalachian Lil' Abner Barbie" (2.3).

"Scarlett O'Hara ripped drapes down and made a couture dress...this, she ripped the sheets off the bed and ran out the door (4.8).

I just want to stuff him in my closet and have him tell me how to dress. Or, perhaps, how not to.

Kors with his Project Runway cohort Heidi Klum

Cate
You may or may not remember my post of almost a year ago, "What's Up, Doc?" in which I wrote, "Eventually, I'd like to look like I stepped out of a Michael Kors ad." I meant it then, and I mean it even more now. Throughout my time as a blogger, I've progressively become even more obsessed with Kors' work, and those are just the things I blog about; this doesn't even cover the depths of my devotion. Hell, Carmen Kass has become one of my favorite models just through her many appearances in Kors' advertising. (I mean, come on: just LOOK at this campaign!)

Of course, it's one thing to love the man's accessories, but it's something else altogether to adore his clothing. And believe me, I adore it. There's this LBD Angelina Jolie sported at a movie premiere, this gorgeous eyelet shirtdress from a few years ago, this goddess-style dress Rachel McAdams wore, and this bold pink look from Resort 2012, just to name a few.

I also enjoy learning about Kors' life and process. He gives great interviews, such as the one from last month's Harper's Bazaar, in which Bette Middler calls him "a perfect delight" and Kors himself says, "You can be chic but have a sense of humor, you can be sexy but comfortable, you can be timeless but fresh." Those are words to live by, spoken by a man who knows all about chic, sexy, timeless things.

Kors and his longtime love (and new husband!) Lance LePere

Visit the Michael Kors website here.

Images via here and here.

-Cate and Maureen-

2 comments:

  1. I know, right? And I want to own all those fall looks (and dress my husband up in everything the male model is wearing, too!). Lord, it must be nice to be fashionable. Oh, and wealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, Audrey, I don't think it's too much to ask for any of those things (owning all the fall looks, being fashionable, and having tons on money). Will someone just give us what we want? And send Michael Kors along with it?

    ReplyDelete