Sunday, April 18, 2010

Crazy for Kors Bags? Who, Me?

Although I may not be the so-called "quintessential American girl"--no sailing, country clubs, or twinsets here, kids--I am a huge fan of the American aesthetic. I love American cars and American handbags. My favorite clothing designer is Michael Kors, that arbiter of sportswear, which, ultimately, is an American fashion creation. I've mentioned a clutch of his before. Today, I would like to discuss some of his bigger bags.

For the last few months, one Michael Kors advertisement, which has run in several fashion magazines, has prominently featured the Erin Tote. This purple and silver concoction is, in my opinion, just about the perfect bag for Spring: the cheery color, the size (large enough to stash a compact umbrella, should you have foresight enough to carry one on days when it might rain, among other things), and the pleated detailing all scream "fresh" to me. And it would look so good next to a little black dress, no?

The next bag came to my attention through Purse Blog, a favorite website of mine. It is the Skorpios Pleated Crescent Hobo, a beautiful example of the form. It is completely pleated across the entire body of the bag with delicate, thin folds, and the additional texture added by the braid detailing of the handle and gold studs on the hardware add even more visual interest. Unfortunately, even if my bank account could support such an accessory, I have imposed a ban on buying more black handbags for myself. But, of course, that does not mean that I can not think about this one from time to time.

The final example I'd like to share is a piece that actually goes against most of my handbag preferences. The ID Chain Tote in Sand Python Embossed Leather features a drawstring top, heavy gold chains, and a snake print. Yet somehow, each feature combines to make an impressive product, one that I could probably never pull off myself but that I would love to see someone else rocking. Perhaps I can persuade one of you?

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment