Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Mad Am I Not"

For some of us there is little better than curling up on the couch with a good book and a mug of hot chocolate. We choose our reading material carefully depending on the situation and dive in for the evening (or the morning--we all have different schedules).

Well, my recommendation to you during this spooky holiday season is Edgar Allan Poe. His short stories (the ones you hear about) are rife with murder, unreliable narrators, and fear. "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Black Cat" were favorites of my seventh-grade language arts class. In my own time I also enjoyed "The Cask of Amontillado" and "The Pit and the Pendulum."

All of these, I think, would be splendid reading on a windy October night. "The Black Cat" even comes complete with a bit of gore!


And an Aubrey Beardsley illustration.

Also, Jules Verne totally thought that he and Poe should be bros.

Happy reading!

Maureen

Image via Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment