Tuesday, October 25, 2011

People We Covet: Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman is not spooky by default (proof).

However, some might say that he is quite good at spooky-type things. His 2008 novel The Graveyard Book won the Newbery Medal, which is not given according to the goodness of a book's spookiness. However, if he had done a really, really bad job of writing a spooky book, I doubt he would have won the Newbery, the Hugo, the Locus, and the Carnegie. Gaiman actually has a bad habit of winning Locuses, but that isn't the point.

My point is that Gaiman is a pretty safe place to turn for some spooky reading around Halloween time. Wrap yourself up in your cloak, get a mug of hot chocolate, turn the lights down, and read about the life of Nobody Owens, growing up in a graveyard.

Or you could read his award-winning novella, Coraline. I find that Coraline is more terrifying than The Graveyard Book. I enjoyed the latter, but due to all the things that happen in the world behind Coraline's door to nowhere, I was for the longest time somewhat wary of an extremely shallow closet that I never opened because it looked like double doors to nowhere.

Yes, I am a grown woman.

Gaiman also writes other things. Like American Gods and Sandman and a bunch of short stories. But for Halloween, I think I'll go with the kids' books. They may be all I can handle.

Now tell me, what will you be reading after you turn out the porch light and head back inside to eat the rest of your Halloween candy?

No comments:

Post a Comment