Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fried Rice

As promised, I'm bringing you the fried rice recipe that I paired with my teriyaki shrimp last week. It's more or less delicious. And although I wish I could take credit for it, it's actually based on a recipe from Rhonda Parkinson at about.com (you can see the original here). 

The base of this recipe is rice. I like to use plain old white rice, but I've also used Jasmine rice, which is less sticky than some varieties. Minute Rice is my go-to brand; their boil-in-bag rice is easy to retrieve from the pot and to drain. Four cups--two bags--will serve about four people. Boil up the rice, then drain it and put it in a bowl in the refrigerator until cold. (Although it can be fried warm, it should really be cold.) 

In the meantime, scramble up an egg or two, chop some green onions, and throw them into a bowl together. Set them aside. 


Turn on your frying pan (I use cast iron) and melt just a little bit of butter in the bottom. Put some of your cold rice in the pan, leaving plenty of room for some stirring action. Make sure you have a bottle of soy sauce on hand; my favorite is Kikkoman low-sodium soy sauce. If you're feeling bold, add a little teriyaki sauce.


Let the rice warm up a little, then pour a bit of the soy sauce over it. Add some of the eggs and onions, then stir and cook until golden, like this:


Serve up with the aforementioned teriyaki shrimp, or whatever kind of meat you'd like. You can even add meat to the rice!

Nothing could be easier than this fried rice. I recommend it if you're cooking for a crowd, since it's so simple and quick. 

-Cate-

PS Check in at What We Covet tomorrow for a post about a cookbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment