Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving, Part 1: Green Beans Amandine

I like green beans. Actually, I love green beans. And I think they make a great side dish, as they go with so many meats, especially chicken, pork, and turkey. So of course I enjoy seeing them on the table at Thanksgiving. (Or, you know, any day, really.) Last Thanksgiving, I made dinner for my parents (with some help from both of them) in my totally tiny kitchen, which was an ordeal, but everything turned out really well, and one of my favorite items on the menu was--what else?--the green beans amandine!

For those of you who don't know, amandine is just the fancy French word for an almond garnish, which is to say that these green beans were complimented by toasted almonds.


The recipe couldn't be simpler: steam up some washed, fresh green beans. While they're steaming, toast the almonds in your oven. When the green beans are done, toss them with the almonds, just a little bit of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. They won't cause too much trouble for you, and they won't take up too much of your time, either, which helps to streamline your Thanksgiving celebration. Enjoy!

Image via Wikipedia.
-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment