Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving, Part 2: Cranberry Orange Chutney

To be honest with you, I'm the kind of girl who really loves jellied cranberry sauce in a can. Quite frankly, I think it's a spectacular thing, and Thanksgiving just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving without it, at least for me. Some of you may enjoy cranberry sauce but not appreciate the canned stuff quite like I do. And for you, I have a great recipe that will satisfy your need for tart, sweet salvation: cranberry orange chutney.


The recipe comes from the Fresh Market, one of my all-time favorite stores. And, like Saturday's green beans amandine recipe, I used this one at last year's Thanksgiving dinner. Also, like the green beans, this recipe is very simple. Even I couldn't find a way to screw it up, which means I automatically give it an A-plus. Wait for it:

- 1 bag (about 8 ounces) whole cranberries, as fresh as possible; these are super-easy to come by in November and December, thanks to the holidays
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick

Put everything into a saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Let the mixture simmer until you have something that approximates a sauce (the berries will burst). This took about 25 or 30 minutes for me, but then again, everything I make on my stovetop takes just a little bit longer, maybe because it's so old. Let the sauce cool in the fridge, and take the cinnamon stick out before serving. 

What I like about this recipe is that it's a great last-minute addition to your meal, and the color is so beautiful that you can't help admiring it. Plus, it's delicious! Try it this Thanksgiving; you won't regret it!

For the official recipe, click here.

Image by the USDA via Wikipedia.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment