Saturday, January 1, 2011

Eating Out: Roosevelt's Pub

I have a confession to make: when I drink beer, I almost inevitably get cravings for mozzarella sticks. And if I'm at a bar that doesn't have mozzarella sticks, I get so bummed out. Sometimes we have to stop on the way home and pick up some frozen ones that I can make in my kitchen. More often than not, though, I just don't get any. Except for this one time in Philadelphia.

It was 4th of July weekend two years ago, and I was visiting some friends in Philly. We decided to go out and ended up at this place called Roosevelt's Pub, which sits at the corner of 23rd and Walnut (in Rittenhouse Square). The first thing I noticed about the place was that they sell Yuengling--which, for those of you who remain uninitiated, comes from America's oldest brewery and is sold only on the East Coast. The second thing I noticed were these totally badass ornaments on the bar railing:


And then there were these two bartenders, hereafter referred to as Chris and Mozzarella Dude (so called because we never learned his name). They were pretty awesome. We got to the bar just after the kitchen closed; apparently I looked incredibly sad when I found out I couldn't have any mozzarella sticks, because Chris consulted with Mozzarella Dude, who very cheerfully offered to fire up the fryer so I could get my fix. They were perfectly nice about the whole thing--no rolling of the eyes, no grunting about how much work it would be. Clearly they were my new best friends.

When the sticks came out, I was extra-happy because they were actually little mozzarella triangles. I'd never seen that before, and of course it impressed the hell out of me. I ate them, enjoyed them, and declared my undying love for both Chris and Mozzarella Dude, then wandered out into the balmy night, satisfied at last.

So Chris and Mozzarella Dude, if you're out there reading this, please know that you made this girl's first visit to Philadelphia a memorable one, indeed. And for those of you who may someday trek to Pennsylvania, keep this place in mind. I think you'll like it.

Visit the Roosevelt's Pub website.

-Cate-

PS Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful, delicious time last night!

Also, check out my post at What We Covet tomorrow for a discussion of my brand-new zester!

No comments:

Post a Comment