Monday, June 21, 2010

"Did Bigfoot Take It?"

Every time I go home, there is something that I absolutely have to do. Some people go home to visit their friends or to see the doctor. Me? I always end up watching National Treasure with my mom.

All right, it's not the best film ever. But you know what? Jon Turteltaub knows how to craft a satisfying tale. As far as the cast goes, Nicolas Cage clearly enjoys the dashing character of Ben Gates, Diane Kruger is a sassy government employee, Justin Bartha's smart-ass sidekick is perfection, and Harvey Keitel's FBI agent is the right combination of intimidation and sympathy. Plus Sean Bean's bad guy is deliciously awful and Christopher Plummer's brief role at the beginning of the movie makes my night every time.

And this romp is just plain entertaining. Whether the bad guys are blowing up a 150-year-old ship or chasing the protagonists through Philadelphia, there is always something interesting to see or a funny piece of dialogue to hear. (For the record, when I visited Philadelphia last summer, I spent a lot of time walking around saying, "That was in National Treasure! Oh, man, this is so cool!") I am happy to revisit it every time I revisit my home, and I recommend it if you're looking for a brief trip away from your cares.


-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment