Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I Go Out Walkin' After Midnight

Trees are popular on Earth. Some trees are more popular than others. The oak tree is known as a mighty and strong plant. Pine trees are known as evil things that fall on your house during a hurricane. (They are also commercially grown, but only when planted in neat rows.)

But one tree I think most will love is the weeping willow. It shows up in country songs and Disney films. It sympathizes with us when we are sad, and provides shade when the hot summer sun beats down on our exceedingly white necks.

There are two willow trees outside the house I live in now. One of them appears to be dying, which is sad, but the other is still going strong. The dogs like to chase squirrels up these trees and think they have them trapped. I tell them they aren't hunting hounds, but they never listen.

In my imaginary perfect life, in which I own a house on a large lot, probably out in the sticks, there is a weeping willow in the back yard. I can go and sit under that weeping willow and pretend that I am in a painting looking thoughtful and pretty. I can take a book from my library (which has enormous bookshelves that are perfectly organized, and there is a butler in the corner who serves me tea) and read outside while my willow tree protects me from the elements.

Also, planting trees is good for the earth. We should try to take care of this place, not because we care about the children, but because we're terribly vain and care about what the children think of us.

Buy through the Arbor Day Foundation for $12.00. Unless you're a member, and then you can get it for $7.98, and a free red maple.

No comments:

Post a Comment