Friday, June 25, 2010

Far from the Hills of the Sea-Swelled Carolinas

I'm a sucker for true love, the nineteenth century, and dead people who don't deserve to be dead.

But today is music day, so we are not going to talk about Julia Quinn's trashy romance novel, When He Was Wicked. No, we are going to talk about the Civil War. The one that happened in the United States. The War between the States. The War of Northern Aggression.

I don't think I've ever heard any southerners refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression. Only people who think southerners refer to it that way.

So, I read this webcomic, Dovecote Crest. It's about a fictitious group of Civil War reenactors in Arkansas. It features crinolines, ghosts, ladies dressed like men kissing men, and short blogs and updates from the creators.

One day last year, author Hailey provided a link to a song by a band I had never heard of before. "Yankee Bayonet" is a duet between a dead Confederate soldier and his still-at-home love, referred to often as "the widow" by many fans. Whether they were ever married is up for debate, I think, but I am also a fan of trashy romance novels, where marriage is often unnecessary, and sometimes a hindrance.

When I'm in a good mood, the song is sad but good, a reminder of how terrible the Civil War was in the south without the time investment and Scarlett O'Hara-ness of Gone with the Wind. When I'm in a bad mood, it's something to put on while sitting in bed and eating a pint of ice cream. And bawling, if it comes to that.

Buy through Amazon for $0.99.

-Maureen-

No comments:

Post a Comment