Friday, June 4, 2010

The Sound of Heartbreak

One of the reasons I decided to compile a list of my Top 100 Songs, which I've mentioned several times before, is that I wanted to be able to easily access all of those songs for burning mixes to take with me in the car and give to my parents. I never even thought that it would someday come in handy for my blog, because I never suspected that I might write a blog. But it has been indispensable, and I find myself turning to it again this week.

For those of you who have never encountered DirtyVegas, I feel a little sorry for you. Their self-titled debut was pretty fantastic. "Days Go By" blew me out of the water, but when I sat down to listen to the album in its entirety, I absolutely fell in love with "Simple Things, Part 2." Based on Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2," it is a fantastic combination of acoustic loops and electronic flourishes, an aural odyssey.

This is a tale of love gone wrong, and it echoes the sentiments of millions of people across the centuries: "Thought I was something more, / But I'm a fool instead." Also, much more fatalistically, DirtyVegas has ripped a lyric from the Pink Floyd song they love--maybe the most famous line, in fact: "All in all, you're just another brick in the wall." Makes me wonder if that's all love is. But even with such a dark mood hanging over it, "Simple Things, Part 2" is a beautiful work of art, and I highly recommend it.

Buy through Amazon for $0.99.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment