Monday, June 7, 2010

The Kids Will Make Themselves All Right

When I was in middle school, one of my favorite movies was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I was introduced to it by my brother, and my then-best friend and I would spend all day reciting lines from it. Our favorite: "Not that I condone fascism. Or any -ism, for that matter. -Isms, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism; he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon: 'I don't believe in Beatles; I just believe in me.' Good point there. After all, he was the Walrus. I could be the Walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

And didn't we all feel that way a little bit when we were teenagers? Like we could rule the world if only we had our own set of wheels? Of course, Ferris' solution is to borrow his BFF Cameron's dad's sweet ride. And in doing so, he goes a long way toward curing what ails not only himself but, most especially, Cameron. Although Cameron is very resistant to Ferris' high jinks, they ultimately help him come to terms with his life as it stands. Ferris' carpe diem attitude also helps his sister, Jeannie, relax a little bit. In the course of the day, she skips school, gets arrested, falls in love a little bit, subverts a great deal of authority, and even finds a way to connect with her (previously hated) brother.

This film is a classic example of teenagers asserting their independence and finding themselves in the midst of upheaval while surrounded by authority figures who may be gunning for punishment  (the principal) or so clueless that they can't see what is really going on (the parents). And I think we could all stand to take a day off every once in awhile. Maybe that way, we could save the Ferris Bueller living inside all of us.

Buy through Family Video for $10.99.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment