Thursday, June 24, 2010

Scientific Progress Goes Boink

Hi there! I'm Maureen, Cate's friend. I'll be blogging for you while Cate's out being an adult or whatever. Now, on with the post:

There are a few people you can blame for me. My parents, of course, and my older brother, who showed me films like Heathers (remind me to write about that one) before I was old enough. Even Cate has encouraged me to be a happy Lady Gaga fan and helped keep me Presbyterian in the face of Baptists.

And then there's Bill Watterson. His newspaper comic Calvin and Hobbes began in 1985 and ran for ten years. I did not start reading as soon as I popped out in 1989, but somehow I was introduced to the comic at a young age, and Calvin's adventures and imagination have influenced me for some time.

I distinctly recall once turning a closet into a spaceship using only my mind and bringing a box of cereal with me as my rations for my Mars trip. This was, of course, inspired by my recent purchase of a Calvin and Hobbes collection. There are enough in my family's house that I cannot recall which one it was, but I'm not too bothered by it, because I graduated from college in May.

My mother told me to go to my bedroom after my return home. I did, and I found upon my bed a large, heavy cardboard box. I carried it downstairs, removed the packing materials, and what sat in front of me was this:

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

I picked it up, hugged it, and said, "I love it forever!"

Buy through Amazon for $94.50. Or elsewhere for more, if you think places like Amazon will be the ruin of us all.

-Maureen-

No comments:

Post a Comment