Sunday, June 13, 2010

In the Pink

Balenciaga is a name that we perhaps do not hear enough. The original Balenciaga, Cristobal, was a Spanish fashion designer. Although Sr. Balenciaga passed away in 1972, his house lives on, and the line is today designed by Nicolas Ghesquiere, who is considered by many to be one of the true luminaries of the fashion scene.

My interest in Balenciaga has to do mainly with their handbags, of course. (Although I do have to say that they have an absolutely stunning leather jacket for sale on their website right now, if you have about, say, $2,595.00 to spend.) This bag--which, by the way, is not a tote, exactly, for the record--is one of the house's most famous, the First. Coming in at thirteen inches wide and seven inches tall, it is a tad smaller than my laptop, making for a medium-sized bag, the perfect dimensions for a lady who needs to carry a few things around town but not her entire life.

A couple of months ago, Neiman Marcus announced that they had teamed up with Balenciaga to produce a limited series of both the First Classic and the City Classic bags as well as flat shoes in metallic leathers--brown, black, and a pale pink called Bois de Rose--in order to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Classic bags. (PurseBlog also featured this collaboration.) My pick is the Bois de Rose. It is shimmery and completely cute, like all of my childhood fantasies about purses come true. Can someone please buy this for me right now?

Pre-order through Neiman Marcus for $1,195.00.

-Cate-

PS I'd like to share another couple of updates with you!

1) Here's a link to a recap/deconstruction of Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" video on autostraddle.com; another for a post about the video at ew.com; and a more political take from Video Ga Ga, a music blog on Yahoo!; this way, you might see some viewpoints that differ from or coincide with my own.

2) I totally forgot to let you know that I finally got myself the Zee Zee Top Zelda Clutch from Christian Audigier, which I first mentioned in this post. Because I kept running into it at the local TJ Maxx and the price kept going down and I kept fawning over it, I caved. But the good news is that I ended up snagging it for about 60% off the original cost, so it was a good thing that I passed on it the first two times!

No comments:

Post a Comment