Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Leaping for Joy

Every Tuesday on this blog, I write about accessories. I try to make sure that my covetousness covers all sorts of accessories--umbrellas, key rings, headbands, and so on. Usually when searching for accessories to discuss, however, I find myself drawn to jewelry. This week, I decided very specifically that I was going to write about a brooch. The problem is, many of the brooches I find scream grandmother or kindergarten teacher. I am neither of those things. So I popped on over to Portero, thinking that they might have some vintage piece that would appeal to me. Sure enough, they did: the Jewel of Ocean Frog Brooch.

Although I rarely actually wear whimsical pieces, I do love to look at them. And the Frog Brooch is nothing if not whimsical. Two little frogs smiling like buddhas? Check. Clutching their bellies like they have been laughing? Check. Legs splayed out as if they are about to fall over from laughing? Check. Plus, it's beautiful. It is constructed of platinum and yellow gold, with pearls for torsos, emeralds for eyes, and diamonds for faces and legs. 

Word from Portero is that the retail value of this piece is a whopping $28,000. The good news is that it's selling for about a third of that. However, I don't know too many people--anybody, really--who have that kind of cash. But I sincerely hope that these little froggies find a good home; they deserve to be out in the world!


-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment