Thursday, July 1, 2010

British Child Goes to Magical, Mysterious Boarding School

Let me just get that out of the way for you. Gunnerkrigg Court otherwise shares no similarities with Harry Potter. In fact, my understanding is that there are a number of British coming-of-age stories where the main characters go to a magical boarding school. I have not read any of these, and my knowledge comes entirely from the Internet.

Gunnerkrigg Court is a webcomic. It has been published twice in book form, once through Lulu (this edition was not a very high-quality one, I'm told, and is no longer available), and once by Archaia Comics. I own this beautiful hardcover, which holds the first fourteen chapters of the comic. I'm working on getting Volume 2 for myself.

The story follows Antimony Carver as she enters a new school. I can't explain the whole plot here. Let's just say that to start, there is science and there is magic, everything is baffling, and as time goes on some questions are answered and more are asked.

The art at the beginning is heavily stylized, but as one reads on, it appears to mature. I am not an art critic, but I have heard some opine that Tom Siddell was, perhaps, holding himself back in the beginning and allowing the art to improve as the characters grew. I'll leave that up to you guys to decide.

Read for free at Gunnerkrigg Court.

Buy through Amazon for $17.79.

No comments:

Post a Comment