Friday, May 21, 2010

The Time of the Season, Indeed

Although I don't listen to their music very much, The Zombies have left an indelible mark on me. Their song "Time of the Season" is one of what I call my Top 100, a collection of my very favorite songs that actually numbers closer to 200 nowadays, although I started out with only 70 or so. But what is it about "Time of the Season," exactly?

The bass notes that keep an incredibly steady rhythm, the slightly breathy vocals, the sentiment of the lyrics. In short, just about everything. And while "Time of the Season" is a song very much of its era (the late 1960s), what with its organs and the Beatles-influenced vibe of the chorus, it is durable enough to stand up for today's music lover. And I don't mean the average Top 40 Radio listener, who would probably find "Time of the Season" to be outmoded, even though the production is remarkably crisp. I mean those of us who are truly musically-minded, who see music as an art, because this really is a beautiful thing to behold.

I think that it is an especially apt song for summertime, the perfect soundtrack to a sunset drive down a shady lane and an inspiration to get up and do something. It is the time of the season, indeed.

Buy through Amazon for $0.89.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment