Tuesday, April 13, 2010

But What Do Mayflowers Bring?

Traditional wisdom holds that April showers bring May flowers. Well, where I live, March is our rainy month. But even in April, I love a good umbrella.

For about the past six years, I've owned a perfectly serviceable London Fog umbrella, black with multicolored dots. Of course, it hasn't seen much action, because it is usually in one of two places: the back of my car or the back of my closet; I always forget to bring it with me. So I'm constantly tromping through the rain with nothing to cover my head, unless I happen to be wearing a hooded jacket or sweatshirt.

Really, I have no business looking at umbrellas, because I know that I'll never use them. However, from time to time, I stumble across one that is so pretty or perfect that I can't help myself; I feel the impulse to buy it, like this one from Cath Kidston, a British designer: the Shooting Star Birdcage Umbrella. Although I don't normally like the clear type of umbrella, I am a sucker for stars. They get me every time.

For those of you who are art-minded, there is the Detroit Industry Umbrella, available from the Detroit Institute of Arts. Although it is simply black on the outside, the inside of it is decorated with images from Diego Rivera's beautiful mural. I love it because it would bring a little bit of inspiration to my days, and also a reminder of home.

Kids will find the next umbrella to be fun: the 3-D Ladybug! Actually, I'm 23 and find it to be fun. A little loud, perhaps, but exceedingly cute.

And then there is the end-all of umbrellas, the Burberry Haymarket Check Walker. You know, the umbrella you could never, ever afford because, well, it costs $250. But it is classy beyond all belief, the perfect match for a trench coat.

I won't be buying any of these for myself, but I hope that you have found something that might protect you for the duration of your rainy season!

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment