Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Let There Be Plates

About a year and a half ago, I picked out a set of everyday dishes for myself with some help from my mother. The pattern I chose was Scandia White from Corelle, which I've been given to understand actually originated as a CorningWare pattern. My grandmother purchased the dishes for me as a Christmas present. The good news is that CorningWare is still producing some baking and serving pieces in this set. The bad news, which to me is actually kind of devastating? Corelle has apparently stopped production of the dishes themselves.

I really like my Scandia White dishes. Mom and I agreed that it 1) fit my style and 2) would serve me well for a long time. For those of you who are not familiar with Corelle, it is pretty much indestructible. In fact, Mom swears by the brand and has had only two different sets of their dishes in my lifetime (the second of which has a pattern that was only very recently discontinued, and she's had it for at least 15 years), and my grandmother's set has been around for as long as I can remember. But my set? It's incomplete. In fact, it's pretty drastically so. I only have 16 pieces--four each of luncheon plates, dinner plates, salad/soup bowls, and mugs. Of course, this is more than enough for now, since it's just me living on my own. The plan was to buy a second set of 16, along with some of the baking and serving pieces, when I moved into a bigger place or got married. I especially wanted the matching salt and pepper shakers, because I think that shakers are some of the most best accessories a person can use to change up the look of a table or dining room without going overboard.

Luckily, there is a good chance that I will not need any more dishes for quite some time. But still.

When the time comes to expand the set, I may branch out into the Pure White. It is the same shape and color as Scandia White but without the details that make the Scandia White so cool. But for now, I shall mourn the loss of my favorite.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment