Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dear Diary, Today I (Fill in the Blank)

Rachel McAdams is a pretty cool chick. She's a good actress and beautiful to boot. So when I saw her on the cover of the January 2010 issue of Vogue, I had to pick up a copy and read the accompanying article. In it, the author, Sally Singer, mentions that Ms. McAdams uses something called Keel's Simple Diary. The Simple Diary is kind of like Mad Libs for grown-ups, giving the diarist options for describing what kind of day he or she had and explaining what made it so, as well as asking other questions meant to induce self-reflection.

I had to have one.

Throughout the years, I have tried desperately to keep up with a diary or journal. Each time I attempt it again, I fail. It doesn't matter what kind of notebook I use--spiral bound, fancy, lined, whatever. I seem to have some kind of diarist deficiency in my genes. Seriously. So the Simple Diary was very appealing to me: it would give me prompts! It would make me want to come back to it!

Both of those are true. I ordered my Simple Diary (in green), and since it arrived on 8 January, I have made an entry every day. But making an entry every day for three months means that I have used up approximately 75% of the entries. This is not good news.

Officially, I own Keel's Simple Diary Volume One. However, there is no Volume Two. At least, there is not one yet. So when my diary runs out, approximately one month from now, what will I do with myself? Should I order another one, perhaps this time in a different color, and start the process all over again? Or will that get old and turn me off of keeping a diary again? Perhaps I will simply buy a nice journal and pre-date the entries to ensure that I will keep up with the writing. In the meantime, I will anxiously await the second installment.

Buy the Simple Diary through Taschen Books for $15.00. Available in six colors.

-Cate-

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Cate! I, too, am deficient in diary-writing, so I am going to have to check this out. Perhaps I will get the red one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want one. Only I already know that I, too, will be upset when my diary is all filled up. Stupid Simple Diary!

    ReplyDelete