Friday, April 16, 2010

I Saw the Sign, and It Was Good

Perhaps some of you out there will judge me for what I'm about to say, but I must confess: Ace of Base makes me happy.

I'm not even kidding. When I was about seven years old, their album The Sign was released. And it was huge. A girl at my elementary school sung along to the title track at some kind of talent show assembly. My friend Ashley and I loved to dance around to "All That She Wants." "Don't Turn Around" was probably my favorite track.

But their second stateside album, The Bridge, was my favorite. My brother bought it for me, and I was so excited. I still own that CD. Even today, I will listen to it, usually in the car, but occasionally on my iPod, as well. And I have found that it holds up surprisingly well. Although Ace of Base were sitting atop the apex of European dance-pop in the 1990s, their music was actually quite good and well-produced. It does not sound as cheesy or tinny as the music of certain lesser acts. And both The Sign and The Bridge are--to me, at least--very clearly important predecessors of Lady Gaga's second album, The Fame Monster. In fact, I very firmly feel that Lady Gaga's latest single, "Alejandro," is what Ace of Base would sound like if they had broken through this year instead of 17 years ago.

I highly recommend that everyone interested in pop or dance music listen to The Bridge, at the very least, if not The Sign, as well. Outstanding tracks on The Bridge include "Lucky Love," "Wave Wet Sand," and "Que Sera."

Buy through Amazon.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment