Friday, April 9, 2010

These Beautiful Scottish Boys

Who doesn't love a Scotsman? Sir Sean Connery and Kevin McKidd are definitely at the top of my list, along with the men from a little band called Franz Ferdinand.

No, I don't really understand why they chose to name themselves after this Austrian dude. (I mean, other than the fact that he's mostly famous for starting a war, which is pretty epic, really.) But I don't care. Because they are fantastic.

Their first full release, which was self-titled, dropped just before the end of my high school career. The lead single was "Take Me Out," and it was absolutely the most perfect song I had heard in quite awhile. Other cuts, such as "Dark of the Matinee" and "Darts of Pleasure" were sonic delights. Each time I revisit the album, I find myself listening to it straight through and loving every minute of it. I suppose it helps that their singer, Alex Kapranos, is, well, totally my type.

In a way, the sound of Franz Ferdinand is entirely new, but also comfortingly old. It makes me feel like I've been transported to suburban Great Britain circa 1970. (For the record, I have never been to Great Britain, and I certainly wasn't there in 1970, so I have no reasonable, logical basis for this feeling.) I usually listen to it while I drive. And I feel confident in saying that it will be in my collection for a good long while.

Buy through Best Buy for $9.99.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment