Monday, April 12, 2010

Telling the Truth

I love Madonna.

No, seriously. She's fantastic. It is very inspiring to me to see a fellow Michigander proving herself to the world. Many people disagree with the way she lives her life. Ultimately, I don't pay too much attention to that because, really, she's created a character like any other celebrity would, but that character is not the most important thing she's produced. Rather, it's the music.

I had intended to write about her latest concert film and CD, The Sticky and Sweet Tour. Unfortunately, when I went to buy it, it was sold out, and thus I have not been able to view or listen to it. So I decided instead to discuss one of the documentaries about her, and probably the most famous: Truth or Dare.

Madonna had released concert films prior to documenting her Blonde Ambition world tour, and, of course, she had been featured as an actress in many movies throughout the 1980s. But Truth or Dare is uncensored, unpolished Madonna all the time. From time to time, it is shown on VH1 Classic, and I always stop to watch it. Rolling Stone named it one of the Top 25 Music DVDs of All Time. It even has its own Wikipedia page.

Madonna has her good moments in the film. One of the most touching scenes is her visit to her mother's grave; another is when someone asks her, during a game of (what else?) Truth or Dare, who her greatest love has been, and she answers, simply and without any further discussion, "Sean" (as in Penn, her first husband, whom she had divorced the year before Truth or Dare was filmed). Of course, she also shows herself to be a loud-mouthed control freak, but do we expect anything else from the world's biggest pop star?

The performances interspersed throughout the narrative are what really catch my attention in the film. During the musical sequences, the viewer is blown away by Madonna's energy and commitment to what she does. It is very impressive to see someone loving her work so much. Also, the costumes from the show, designed by Jean-Paul Gaultier, continue to arrest the eye, as does Madonna's long, blonde ponytail, reminiscent of the one made famous by Barbara Eden on I Dream of Jeannie, which I have tried, and repeatedly failed, to recreate on my own head.

Although I do not currently own a copy of the film myself, it remains a touchstone for me, as do her later productions Drowned World Tour and, especially, The Confessions Tour. Perhaps someday I will be lucky enough to encounter Madge on tour; in the meantime, these documentaries will have to suffice.

Buy through Amazon for $16.49.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment