Monday, April 26, 2010

"Come On, Daddio"

As far as fictional characters go, I have a few favorites. Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451, of course, and Rob Petrie from The Dick van Dyke Show, Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie, Calliope Stephanides from Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, the evil fairy in Briar Rose by Robert Coover, and several others. But the one with the most flair (not the magical kind--obviously Jeannie would win that prize) is probably Mrs. Mia Wallace, played by Uma Thurman, from my favorite movie, Pulp Fiction.

All right, so she's a coke fiend. And a little stupid. But, man, has she got some moves. She also has a fashion sense that I love: a crisp white shirt, simple black pants, and a fantastic bustier. Everything about Thurman's performance, from the way she sings along to "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon" to the way she delivers the ketchup joke is so spot-on that Mia becomes immortal for the viewer, because she is far too human to be evanescent. Thurman definitely earned her Academy Award nomination, and I feel that it is something of a crime that she did not win.

Of course, she's not much of a role model (unless you aspire to need an adrenaline shot due to a heroin overdose, of course). What she is, though, is fun. For several years running, I made myself up as Mia Wallace for Halloween, and while very few of my friends understood, I got a kick out of it every time precisely because the character is so entertaining. She remains, for me, one of the best characters Quentin Tarantino ever dreamed up.

Buy Pulp Fiction on DVD through Best Buy for $14.99.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment