Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Little China Girl

Two years ago or so, my grandmother bequeathed her lovely pansy china to my mother, and I went down to the house with Mom to help her pack it up and take it back to our home. During the course of the afternoon, we chatted, of course. And then my grandmother asked me if I had chosen a china pattern for myself.

Okay, stop. Rewind. A china pattern? I was then, and remain now, romantically unattached. Apparently she was unaware, because when I told her that I wasn't even dating anyone, she responded with an absolutely incredulous, "You aren't?"

Yeah.

But the truth was, I had put some thought into it, because that's what I do--I think about things I want, as you might have noticed while reading this blog. So I made some vague response, since I had never actually physically looked at china, about wanting plain white dishes with a silver or platinum band.

Later on, I decided to do a bit of research in order to form a more coherent reply, and I eventually settled on Lenox Federal Platinum dinnerware. The simplicity of it is stunning; although there are no flourishes, the delicate yet purposeful curves give just the right flair to the cups, sugar bowl, creamer, gravy boat, and teapot. Also, the collection features many serving pieces, including bowls, platters, and coffee mugs. Best of all, a set of salt and pepper shakers is available, and I have written before about how much I love matching salt and pepper shakers.

This china perfectly suits me and my style. Perhaps someday I will have an excuse to ask for some of it (at least eight place settings, please, so that I can have some boss dinner parties)!

Buy a five-piece place setting through Macy's for $143.00.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment