Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Car As Spaceship

Since high school, I've been a fan of cars. Of course, this has something to do with growing up in Michigan, Land of the Automobile. One of my favorite manufacturers is Lincoln, that iconic American luxury brand. And for the last two years, I have been absolutely drooling over their MKZ, an updated and renamed version of the original Lincoln Zephyr.

It has everything I like in any kind of design: clean lines, sleek styling, and great details. I'm terribly fond of it in Brilliant Silver with a Dark Charcoal interior. But prices start at just over $34,000, which means that it costs, well, more money than I can spend on a car. Another down side is the less-than stellar fuel economy (an estimated 27 mpg highway, which is lower than that of both of the cars I've owned). And although it is built on the same platform as the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan--actually quite nice cars themselves, if you're looking for a family sedan or a less flashy ride--I feel that it stands alone visually.

In addition to putting out a quality product, Lincoln has found another way to pull me in: their latest commercials feature some pretty boss music. Spots for the MKS (like an MKZ, but sportier) employ Cat Power's cover of "Space Oddity" by David Bowie, who is one of my idols. And the spots for the MKZ use Shiny Toy Guns' discofied cover of "Major Tom (Coming Home)" by German singer Peter Schilling, which is based on the Major Tom character featured in "Space Oddity." Oh, Lincoln, how you entice me with your clever use of space-age styling.

For the record, I have a perfectly nice vehicle that I really do like and runs very well. But every time I see an MKZ roll by, my heart flutters a bit and I begin to dream.

Listen to a sample of Shiny Toy Guns' "Major Tom (Coming Home)" on their website.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment