Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Creating an Indoor Escape

Since I have an apartment that I can't change much, the thing I do most is dream about changing it, naturally. It's not that I have anything against the layout of my place, or the number of rooms, although I could do with a slightly larger kitchen. It's more that it is a very institutional space, in terms of construction and color. Luckily, I have been given permission to paint it, and intend to do just that. But sometimes, I would really like to make a splashier change than just a coat of paint.

Hence my recent obsession with wall murals.

I saw an episode of Cribs once that featured the members of Maroon 5, who were still living in a house together; they had just made it big with Songs About Jane. And I remember very distinctly that one of the guys had a wall mural in his bedroom, some picture of a forest. Maybe they were birch trees; I'm not sure. The point is, I thought it was so cool, and I've never forgotten it. But since I'm not at all an outdoorsy kind of girl, the idea of having a wall that looks like the woods doesn't appeal to me very much. However, I have found a different option, a picture of a bunch of palm trees at sunset. Palm trees I do like, maybe because of the connotations of exotic lands and warm weather, and wouldn't mind looking at them every morning when I wake up.

Alas, it is simply not to be, but a girl can still dream. What kind of wall mural would you like to have?


-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment