Monday, May 31, 2010

"He Likes Me Hot with Marshmallows"

I don't know about you, but I really love a good curmudgeon. Some examples of good curmudgeons include Doc, the foul-mouthed bartender in The Boondock Saints; Fred Mertz, Lucy and Ricky's neighbor/landlord on I Love Lucy; and, of course, Frank Barone of Everybody Loves Raymond.

The late Peter Boyle was okay in Taxi Driver and quite hilarious in Young Frankenstein. But I think that he found his calling in the role of Frank Barone. He was absolutely the epitome of the cranky old man character. Whether he was complaining about his wife's cooking or giving deadpan deliveries of sick burns, he was spot-on. 

Back in January, when I was visiting my best guy friend, we ended up having a mini-marathon of Everybody Loves Raymond episodes and happened upon the one in which Frank wins the Man of the Year award  at his lodge (3.16, "Frank's Tribute"). I think one line in that episode sums up my feelings about Frank, even though Frank doesn't quite get it: "And what's with Corelli saying he likes me hot with marshmallows?"

But, really, who doesn't like Frank Barone hot with marshmallows?

Buy the complete Everybody Loves Raymond through Best Buy for$179.99.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment