Thursday, May 27, 2010

How to Love an Elephant

My mom used to read to me a great deal when I was very young. One of the books I remember most--one of the books she read most often--is a little gem by Jerry Smath called But No Elephants.

But No Elephants is the story of Grandma Tildy, who will adopt any pet but an elephant. She gets all of her animals from a traveling pet salesman, who just can't seem to unload this elephant, a very cute and expressive creature. Grandma Tildy finally gives in, and eventually--but only after some tribulations, of course--the elephant saves the day.

It is a short, entertaining read, and Smath's illustrations are gloriously comical and detailed. It even entertains me now, as an adult, and I like to give copies of it to friends of mine who are having babies. So if you're looking for something to read with your child, younger sibling, or babysitting charges, I think you would do well to start here!


-Cate-

1 comment:

  1. I think I know this one!

    I thought the title sounded familiar, and then I checked the link, and either I'm completely stupid or I loved this book as a child!

    Possibly both.

    ReplyDelete