Thursday, May 20, 2010

Nestling

When I was growing up, we had a matryoshka, or Russian nesting doll. It was of a fairly traditional design. Although I'm not sure where it came from, I do know that I loved it, and still do. It was a thing of fascination for me, the way it opened up and continued to do so, revealing ever smaller versions of itself. 

While trolling the internet for something else entirely earlier this year, I came across a pretty cool website called The Russian Store. They have a fine array of matryoshkas available. They also sell a book about these dolls, called The Art of the Russian Matryoshka by Rett Ertl and Rick Hibberd. This book, published in full color, gives a history of matryoshkas as well as many examples of the dolls, from religious figures to representations of different cultures. It is sure to entertain as well as inform!


-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment