Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Odette Effect

I've noticed this trend lately that involves feathered headbands. Whoa. This is so fantastic! What a whimsical accessory! I'm a big fan of feathers: feather jewelry, feather-shaped jewelry, feathers on hats, feathers on skirts, feathers on shoes.

But the headbands particularly interest me. I have a children's book called Swan Lake, by Rachel Isadora, that is done in beautiful watercolors and portrays Odette, the swan queen, in human form as a ballerina, in keeping with the dance tradition of the story. Likewise, Odile, Odette's dark doppelganger, is shown as the same.

I really love the idea of Odile and Odette: two halves of the same person, the good and bad twins. Perhaps I'm just wired for binary juxtapositions. No matter; I think these two ladies (usually danced by the same ballerina) are fantastic. And I have found feathered headbands that I think would work for each of them.

The first, my choice for Odette, is supremely affordable, only $6.50 from Charlotte Russe. The long, skinny feathers and cute rhinestone detail add just the right amount of flair without taking away from the white core of the headband. It is the perfect choice for our imprisoned heroine.

My call for Odile, while less flashy, is also, somehow, the perfect accessory for such a sinister lady. What I love about this is the unfussy, streamlined look--all black, and absolutely spot-on for a smooth criminal. Although it is cost-prohibitive, at $75.00, it could be worth the investment if you have the means and would like to channel a little bit of your own dark side. How do you feel about these?

Buy Swan Lake through Better World Books for $4.95.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment