Saturday, May 29, 2010

Promenade

In my hometown in Michigan, Prom is always held on the night before the start of the four-day Memorial Day weekend, which means that, right now, girls all over that town are probably still recovering from the blisters they received through the over-wearing of pretty shoes. Although I never went to my own prom (which is an interesting story probably not fit for public consumption), I have always been a fan of the prom shoe.

Prom shoes, on a general level, are not the classiest of footwear. They are often silver and strappy, like these from Trinkets, available at Shoe Show, perfectly suited to a high school event but not at all appropriate for anything else except, only occasionally, a wedding. But they are so much fun. Occasionally, they are decorated with rhinestones, such as this pair from Michael Antonio at DSW. And from time to time, you will find a shoe that manages to combine both of those things--silver and bejeweled, in a single pair, such as this creation from Sizzle, available through David's Bridal.

There is a part of me that wishes I had gone to Prom, if only for the experience, even though I was very glad at the time not to be there. And every time I start to get nostalgic and wistful, I think of these shoes and what could have happened to my feet, and I am okay again. But girls shall continue to promenade, as is their right, and I can only hope that they will not suffer!

Visit promgirl.com for more examples of Prom shoes, as well as everything else you could ever want to wear to that dance.

-Cate-

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, I, too, wonder what it would have been like if I had gone to prom, and then I remember the one time I went to any sort of formal dance. It sucked, and prom would have been just like it. I also reflect on playing Harvest Moon instead of going and concocting fantastic drama.

    Harvest Moon is, of course, the solution to feeling bad about not participating in a rite of passage. When I am twenty-five and do not go out and rent a car, I will play Harvest Moon and start giving things strange names. When I am twenty-eight and a good stable spinster I'll pick my wedding date and spend the whole day playing Harvest Moon, taking care of my chickens Lady Gaga and Pertelote.

    Those two chickens exist, by the way. I don't have to start a new game and name them that. They may soon be joined by a chicken named Madonna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of having a chicken named Lady Gaga. And I think that she would get along well with a chicken named Madonna. Also, good call on naming the other one Pertelote.

    ReplyDelete