Monday, May 10, 2010

Yeah, the "Imperial March" Is My Theme Music, Too

I know this kid--the nephew of a friend of mine--who is a huge fan of Star Wars. When I met him, I told him that I liked Star Wars, too, so he asked me who my favorite character from the films was. My response? "Han Solo, of course. Who's yours?" Well, he put me in my place when he said, very matter-of-factly and as if there was no other option, "Darth Vader."

The kid might be on to something. Because Han Solo may be rugged and handsome and charming and a hot-shot pilot, but Darth Vader stands alone in a category of badassness that has yet to even be named.

What makes him thus? I mean, have you seen the guy? He wears a cape, he has a death grip that puts to shame even your mother's most withering glances, and, well, he is voiced by James Earl Jones, who may look like a cuddly teddy bear but in actuality is probably scarier than even Chuck Norris. Plus he can put Boba Fett in his place, which is a hell of an accomplishment.

I recommend the original Star Wars trilogy very highly in general and very firmly feel that everyone should see all three films at least once. For the best Lord Vader moments, you might consider checking out his light saber fight with Obi-Wan Kenobi in A New Hope, the entirety of The Empire Strikes Back (which is my favorite of the series), or his epic showdown with Emperor Palpatine in Return of the Jedi.

If I had to choose just one thing to say about Darth Vader, it is that he rarely disappoints. Do you agree?

Buy the original Star Wars trilogy through Family Video for $33.99.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment