Saturday, May 1, 2010

Flipping for Shoes

My parents get a real big kick out of my general choice of footwear. For example, Dad thinks it's hilarious--and awesome--that I'm such a huge fan of Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star high-tops. He also really likes the story of how I walked home about a mile and a quarter from the (ahem) bar in a pair of three-inch peep-toe slingbacks one night.

Mom finds my love affair with flip-flops to be fascinating. She especially likes it when I fly home for Thanksgiving, forget that the weather in Michigan is significantly different than the weather in North Carolina, and step into the snow in my decidedly un-wintery footwear. But I stand by them. Well, I suppose I actually stand in them, and since flip-flop weather is upon us, I would also like to talk about them.

My favorite flip-flops by far come from Old Navy. They are affordable, durable, comfortable, and colorful. At the cost of two pairs for $5.00, you can splurge and get as many colors as you want, from Lime Slush to this super-cute butterfly print.

For those of you out there with a little bit of school spirit, Kohl's offers some collegiate flip-flops, such as this University of Michigan pair, on sale now for $15.99.

If you're willing to spend a bit more money--around $50.00--you can pick up a colorful pair of Rainbow Sandals, which are very popular where I live thanks to their ability to take a beating and still offer support.

These are just three of your options for summertime sporty footwear. Invest in one pair and take yourself to the beach as a treat!

-Cate-

4 comments:

  1. Did you notice that Old Navy changed their flipflops? They used to be smooth textured and a little bit wider. Now they have those ribbly bumpy things. (I realize I just made up the word "ribbly".) It makes me sad. I still like them, but I liked the OLD ones better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was skeptical of the "ribbly" style at first, also, but found that it didn't make too much of a difference. You're absolutely right about the width, though--it's easier to get blisters from the straps now, which is definitely unfortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of the Rainbows. I'm still wearing the pair I got in high school, and I never even tried to take care of them. Once there's an actual hole in one of them, I'll look into a new pair of flip-flops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out the picture on the front page of their website: someone sent a really beat-up pair back to them along with a letter, presumably to tell the company how well-loved the product had been. http://www.rainbowsandals.com/

    ReplyDelete