Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Dream

Last Saturday was the anniversary of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,'s public reading of his "I Have a Dream" speech, delivered at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, and while this speech has been widely covered, I feel that it is important to continue to cover it. 

After all, King's work was very important, and his legacy is even more important: if we ever forget what he did, we will slip. If we ever neglect to remember his words, we might make a serious misstep. In this age where different civil rights are being denied, it is helpful (to me, at least), to revisit "I Have a Dream" and to learn from it.

There are two passages that I find particularly beautiful and meaningful. The first speaks to unity and strength: "We cannot walk alone. And as we walk, we must make a pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back." The second speaks to hope: "[...S]o even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream."

Let us never cease to fight to make that dream a reality for all.

Read a transcript of the speech.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment