Monday, September 20, 2010

The Secret Ingredient

So, you know that I recently started a food blog, right? But did you ever wonder what prompted me to do such a thing? (Of course you didn't, but that's not the point.) Other than my love of Bobby Flay, there were two main factors. One, I was already covering so many topics on this blog that there didn't seem to be any good place to make note of food items and recipes I like. Two, I wanted to have a tangible reason for using my tiny yet serviceable kitchen--basically, I don't want to be one of those apartment girls who only ever orders in.

My main inspiration was all of this fantastic cookware I have, of course, which was not being put to good use in the cabinet. But a secondary inspiration--and, ultimately, a very important one--was the episodes of Iron Chef America I kept stumbling across. The show is fantastic, really, the best possible intersection of reality television and educational programming: Alton Brown's constant narration provides commentary and trivia about most of the ingredients used and dishes prepared, and you also get to see very good chefs at work, which is fascinating in itself.

And the chefs each have a distinct, and awesome, personality. My favorites are Cat Cora, whose genealogy and upbringing so inform her cuisine; Mike Symon, who has a certain panache and badass air about him; Masaharu Morimoto, who is completely adorable and extremely formidable; and, of course, Bobby Flay.

I know that I will never be able to build my cooking skills up to the point where I am able to compete on Iron Chef America, but that's all right. For now, I'm just enjoying the show and taking inspiration from each of the fascinating people who compete.

Take a look at the Iron Chef America website.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment