Saturday, September 11, 2010

Rice Krispie Treats

I'm from Michigan, so I'm pretty fond of Kellogg's products, especially Pop-Tarts. And Rice Krispie Treats are particularly appealing to me because they are so incredibly easy to make.

No, seriously, there is almost nothing easier: three ingredients and fifteen minutes after getting started, you're good to go. The official recipe, available on the Rice Krispies website, reads as follows:

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows OR 4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies

1. In large saucepan melt putter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. Add Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.

This is what I have to say about the recipe in general: I prefer butter for all things--margarine is never an option for me--and I find that the miniature marshmallows are easier to melt. (Kellogg's also says that you can use marshmallow fluff instead, but I don't even believe in the stuff.) And it really does help to use a buttered spatula; if you don't, it's hard to pull the spatula away from the mixture.

Here's the finished product:


Now, of course, you're not required to decorate them as I did, but my Rice Krispie Treats were serving a specific purpose, and if you want to do the same, I recommend using gel rather than icing, such as this product from Betty Crocker, since it won't interfere with the simple yet utterly wonderful taste of the Treats.

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment