Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Most Ridiculous, Yet Delicious, Thing You Will Ever Eat

A good friend of mine was born and raised in Hiroshima, the daughter of an American Marine and a Japanese mother. She has been in the States for the past five years, but she hasn't let go of her roots, and occasionally she will share with me some fantastical Japanese creation. My favorite of these by far is Meiji mushroom candy.


Don't worry: it's not actually made of mushrooms (if it was, I wouldn't eat it). Rather, it consists of a cookie stem and a milk chocolate cap. Simple, really, but effective. I was actually surprised by how much I love it, since I'm not a big fan of milk chocolate, but I think that the sheer mellowness of the candy is what saves it. And I was almost immediately hooked.

My father went to Japan on business about a year and a half ago, and the only souvenir I asked for was a box of mushroom candy (and if you think that didn't get me a strange look from him, you're wrong). But he delivered, and I made a believer out of him. Awhile later, I discovered that the Japanese market down the street from my parents' house not only carried mushroom candy, but also sold it for a very reasonable price. So almost every time I go home, I buy myself a box or two, and it makes the world a better place. Truly.

I tried to locate some more information about this product online. Unfortunately, even Candy Blog has never covered it, although I do recommend that you check that site out sometime. And since the Meiji website is mostly in Japanese, that negates the possibility of me understanding it, but I did manage to find this, which is alternately very strange and funny as hell.


Image via Asian Food Grocer.

-Cate-

2 comments:

  1. Cate, you rule! thank you for using our image, and I'm glad we could deliver. I love the Meiji Mushroom Chocolates too, they are smooth and satisfying :D I would recommend you try our Dars Milk Chocolate, they are also irresistibly melty delicious.

    Thanks again!
    AsianFoodGrocer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for checking in with me; I was super-excited to find your site! I'll definitely have to try out Dars someday!

    -Cate-

    ReplyDelete