Friday, July 23, 2010

"All the Commotion"

A few years back, I heard of a band called Kings of Leon, but I never came across any of their music, probably because the most reliable radio station where I live uses a classic rock format, which, by design, is not conducive to emerging artists. So, of course, I am coming late to the Kings of Leon party, but better late than never, right?

In fact, if it wasn't for my new iPod, I may not have heard KoL in the first place. You see, iPods have radio tuners in them now (and probably have for awhile, but I'm always slightly behind the times, as I'm sure you've figured out by now), and so I was compulsively flipping through radio stations during my two and a half weeks at home at the end of May, which is how I managed to come across "Sex on Fire," a single off of KoL's  2008 album Only By the Night


Quite honestly, I don't even know most of what Caleb Followill (the band's singer) is saying, but, damn, he sounds good. The song as a whole has sonic relatives in the work of Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, Audioslave, Green Day, Tom Petty, Sister Hazel, Smashing Pumpkins, Aerosmith, and so many others, and all of those connections are good things. Yet it stands alone, which is an even better thing. Plus, bonus? Caleb has a kind of Alexander Skarsgard thing going on in the video for this song, which sucks me in every time.

If you've never encountered Kings of Leon, you should check them out right now. If you are familiar with their music, I would appreciate any recommendations you might have about which of their songs to listen to next!

Buy through Amazon for $1.29.

Photo: ELOdry (via Wikipedia).

-Cate-

No comments:

Post a Comment